CORONAVIRUS update 18/3
18th March 2020
Benetas is actively monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and following the advice from the Australian Department of Health and the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.
With the rapidly evolving nature of COVID-19, Benetas has implemented a number of measures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our clients, families and employees.
As of Thursday 19 March, Benetas residential aged care homes will be temporarily closed to non-essential visitors and contractors for a minimum two week period. Whilst we have not had a confirmed case of COVID-19, in the interests of protecting our most vulnerable members of the community, we did not feel that we could wait any longer to ensure their protection.
Benetas has a COVID-19 Management Team to ensure all actions relating to COVID-19 are clearly identified as being of the highest priority in our organisation, and some usual business activities are being deferred or delayed.
Mandatory training is underway across the organisation to ensure our employees are well equipped in relation to infection control principles and practice.
We are also planning for any potential scenarios and are ensuring we have enough supplies for our residential homes, as well as ordering additional toilet paper and tissue supplies should our home care clients require this support.
The situation is evolving constantly and Benetas is committed to providing regular updates for our community to ensure they are informed of updated measures and what they can do to support older people, who are most vulnerable to this disease.
Continue reading to see how you can help us to protect the most vulnerable in our community.
What can I do to help?
Please continue to check the Australian Department of Health website for the latest information.
If you are experiencing cold or flu like symptoms and
- you are a Benetas Home Care, In-home nursing or respite client or family member, please inform your Case Manager or Facility Manager to ensure the appropriate precautions are taken
- You are a Macedon Ranges Health Client, please do not attend your appointment. Contact MRH on 5428 0300 to be advised of next steps
- You would like to attend one of our homes, please be advised they are temporarily closed for non-essential visitors and contractors. Please contact the Residential Manager for further information.
How do I self-isolate?
We have been receiving a number of questions regarding when to self-isolate and what this means.
Please find a couple of very useful resources here:
- · https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-isolation-guidance
You can also utilise the self-screening tool available on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website.
Practicing good hygiene
Everyone in the community should be practicing good hygiene, which reduces the risk of infection. You can help reduce the spread of infection by:
- Regularly and thoroughly cleaning your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water for 20 seconds (this is equivalent to singing Happy Birthday in full twice)
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then disposing of the used tissue immediately
- Maintaining a safe distance between yourself and others. More information on social distancing can be found HERE.
For the latest advice, information and resources, go to:
You can call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 which operates 24/7.
If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
If you have concerns about your health, speak to a doctor