CORONAVIRUS Information 13/3
13th March 2020
Benetas is actively monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID 19) situation and following the advice from by the Australian Department of Health and the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.
We already have a number of effective procedures in place to manage infectious disease and outbreaks at Benetas and the requirements are very similar for COVID 19. However the situation is constantly evolving so we are doing all we can to reduce the risk for the older people we support who are most vulnerable to this disease.
This includes for example, reviewing our procedures and supplies, providing additional training for employees, regularly communicating to our community of employees, clients, residents, family members and contractors, carefully managing movements and access to sites and scenario planning.
What you can do:
- Please keep updated on the latest information provided by the Department of Health if you have travelled to or through countries identified as high-risk for COVID-19, or been in contact with someone who has travelled to or through these countries,
- If you are experiencing cold or flu like symptoms
- You must self-isolate for 14 days from the day of arrival in Australia and seek advice from your medical practitioner
- If you are a Benetas Home Care, In-home nursing or respite client or family member, please inform your Case Manager or Facility Manager to ensure the appropriate precautions can be taken.
- If you are a Macedon Ranges Health Client, please do not attend your appointment, contact MRH on 54280300 to cancel your appointment. Please immediately contact your GP by phone for medical review and a medical clearance will be needed for you to rebook your appointment.
- Please do not attend a Benetas aged care home, even if you suspect you are suffering the effects of a cold, and seek advice from your medical practitioner.
Everyone in the community should be practicing good hygiene practices, which reduce the risk of infections. These include:
- Regularly and thoroughly cleaning your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water for 20 seconds (this is equivalent to singing Happy Birthday in full twice);
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
- Covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then disposing of the used tissue immediately;
- Maintaining distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
For the latest advice, information and resources, go to
You can call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080. It operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
If you have concerns about your health, speak to a doctor.