Live in an aged care home

The Federal Government funds and accredits most aged care homes in Australia. Government-funded homes may be run by religious and community organisations (like Benetas), private enterprise and state or local government.

Live in an aged care home

Benetas has residential aged care facilities located across Melbourne, Gippsland, Bendigo and the Mornington Peninsula. Each home has its own unique personality and each boasts a warm and welcoming community.

Benetas provides different types and levels of care that you can access depending on your needs.

Benetas provides ageing in place which allows residents to remain in the same facility as their needs and circumstances change. We can assist with daily living activities as well as medication, treatment of recreation therapy and communication. If required, Benetas supplies nursing and therapy services and basic medical supplies. Full laundry services are available in all facilities.

Dementia care can be provided however extra services should not be confused with extra care – it refers to more exclusive standards of accommodation, food and hotel-type service.

Before you can apply to live at a government-funded aged care home, you will need to be assessed by Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS). The assessment is free and can be arranged by speaking to your GP or you can contact the ACAS team directly (see below for contact details).

Once your application for residential care has been approved by the ACAS team, you can start applying to homes. It is a good idea to visit several facilities to get an idea of what is available – making an appointment to do this is best.

Different things will be important to different people, but in general the location, atmosphere, cost and services should all be taken in to consideration. Having a list of questions handy before you visit can also be helpful. The ABC ‘Health & Wellbeing’ guides have a great example.

The Federal Government subsidises the cost of residential aged care, but residents pay for some of the fees and charges, depending on their income and assets. To access subsidised care, you must have an assets assessment done by Centrelink or the Department of Veteran’s Affairs.

If it turns out that you’re not eligible, it is still helpful to have this assessment as it can help to negotiate some of the costs. Costs may include daily fees, which is based on your income, and an accommodation bond or charge which will depend on your assets. You will need to negotiate the amount you pay directly with the care provider (owner of the home).

The government sets maximum basic charges for pensioners and non-pensioners. The aged care home is entitled to keep a certain proportion of the bond you pay, depending on your length of stay with the balance repaid to you or your estate when you leave.

It is worth getting professional financial advice on costs and any impact on your pensions or tax status. Centrelink has a financial information service which provides free advice about the rules related to aged care fees and charges and how they affect pension payments or superannuation. You can make an appointment with Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs advisors by calling the numbers below.

Useful numbers

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAS) 1800 052 222

Aged and Community Care Information Line 1800 500 853

Centrelink number for aged care related matters 13 23 00

Department of Veterans Affairs 13 3254

For more information on aged care you to go to the My Aged Care website

Need help with aged care?
Get in touch 1300 23 62 36